How to: Cook with CBD
Cannabidiol or CBD has taken the health and wellness sector by storm in the past few years. By becoming one of the most popular products being sold at supplements and natural remedy shops and having numerous health benefits. CBD oil is one of the most diverse alternative treatments available today. CBD has shown to be helpful in treating several health conditions, such as pain, insomnia and anxiety. It is a compound extracted from the Cannabis Sativa plant, however, it does not contain the properties which create the feeling of being high.
It's usage is so widespread that even alcohol manufacturers have hopped onto the CBD bandwagon, producing CBD-infused beverages. Now, recipes using CBD populate the internet, it is easier than ever to cook with CBD at home, adding it to your food and beverages. Read more to find out how you can get the most of this beneficial compound by cooking with CBD.
Tips for cooking with CBD
Cooking with CBD is a great way to get the most of this beneficial compound. It is so simple to add a few drops to your morning tea, mix in a breakfast smoothie, or stir into a soup, or salad! Cooking with CBD can be particularly helpful for those who do not love the taste of CBD on its own.
It is important to note some key guidelines before you start cooking with CBD.
- Avoid high heats
Make sure you do not add CBD to high heats, as high temperatures cause the cannabinoids to lose their effectiveness. If you want to add it to warm foods, it is best to do so after you have cooked them. Such as drizzling it on top of a soup, mixing it into a sauce once it has come off the heat or mixing it into a dip.
- Add to fats
CBD is fat-soluble, which means that it is more effective when consumed with fats, such as butter or oil. So that your body absorbs the CBD better, mix CBD into your salad dressing, or add to butter.
- Mixing with alcohol
If you are also enjoying an alcoholic beverage with your CBD meal, you should note the effects of mixing CBD with alcohol, such as caution when driving. If you are taking any medication, you should be mindful of whether CBD interacts negatively with your medication.
How much CBD to use when cooking
How much CBD you use when cooking depends on your dosage, as well as the serving and portion size. It is best to add your CBD dosage to your own serving, rather than the whole dish. This way you will best be able to control the amount of CBD that you are getting. See our article on how to take CBD for more information on finding the correct dosage.
If you are just starting to cook with CBD, it is best to start with a smaller amount and increase your dosage as needed, until you start to see effects.
See the recipes below for some great ways to cook with CBD, smoothies, snacks and salad ideas.
CBD Breakfast Smoothie
Start the day off right with this delicious (and nutritious) CBD breakfast smoothie. Giving you both the energy energy boost and the Sense of calm you need to live your best life!
- 1 cup blueberries
- Half a banana
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 heaped tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1/2 of almond milk (or any you prefer)
- 3-5 drops of Sense CBD
1. Add the blueberries, chopped banana, oats and chia seeds to a blender.
2. Add ice cubes and your preferred milk.
3. Add a few drops of CBD oil.
4. Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Frozen Snickers Banana Pops
Who doesn’t love a sweet treat, and a healthy(ish) one at that! These snickers and banana pops are so easy and quick to make and they are gluten-free and vegan.
- 2 bananas
- Peanut butter (we used crunchy)
- Approx 1/4-1/3 cup chocolate chips (can use vegan)
- 3-5 drops of CBD oil
1. Line a baking tray or plate with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Cut ends of bananas off. Stick popsicle stick in the middle of bananas, then freeze for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Remove from freezer and coat bananas with peanut butter.
4. In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate chips until fully melted.
5. Add in a few trusty drops of Sense CBD.
6. Using a spoon, coat the bananas with chocolate shell.
7. Put back in freezer for 10 minutes till set. Enjoy!
Salads and sauces
CBD Green Goddess Salad
A healthy and nutritious salad, packed full of vegetables. This green goddess salad is perfect as accompaniment or to enjoy on its own, with the addition of some CBD for an added wellness boost.
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Rice Wine
- 1 cup of Basil Leaves
- 1/3 cup of Nutritional Yeast (can add more to taste)
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1 cup of Spring Onion
- 1 small Shallot
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 cup of Spinach Leaves
- 1/4 cup of Nuts of your choice
- 5-6 drops of Sense CBD
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Small head of Green Cabbage
- One large cucumber
- 1 bundle of Spring Onions
- Any extra Chives (optional)
1. To make the dressing add olive oil, rice wine, basil leaves, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, to a small bowl.
2. Chop the spring onion, shallot and garlic and add to the dressing bowl.
3. Add spinach leaves, nuts of your choice, a few drops of CBD oil and salt and pepper to taste to the dressing bowl and emsulify until smooth.
4. To make the salad, roughly chop cabbage, cucumber, spring onions and some chive (if wanted) and put into a large bowl.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and enjoy!
How to store CBD when cooking
Exposure to light can damage the CBD, leading to a loss of cannabinoids, reducing its effectiveness. Therefore it is best to store your CBD in a cool, dark place such as a cupboard, when cooking with CBD. Heat can also change the composition of the CBD, so make sure to keep it away from places that are especially warm. Exposure to air can also effect CBD's composition, so make sure it is stored in an airtight container or bottle.
Cooking with CBD
Cooking with CBD is the perfect way to start or end your day, adding it to food and drinks is an easy way to get the most of this beneficial compound. Make sure to include CBD with fats, such as butter and be mindful if you are mixing it with alcohol and any medications you are taking. Remember not to heat the CBD oil when you are cooking with CBD.