What medication should not be taken with CBD? Cannabidiol is a compound found in the cannabis or hemp plant. In recent years, it has become immensely popular due to its beneficial effects in treating a wide variety of health issues.
While the use of CBD doesn’t have any adverse effects on the body, the compound may react when taken with certain medications. Although there is a lack of research on this issue, CBD has been found to interact problematically when taken with certain prescribed medicines. More often than not, the effect is dependent on the dosage of the two different drugs, therefore having a prior consultation with your doctor is a good idea before adding CBD to an existing medication taken for any condition.
Medications that you should avoid taking with CBD
CBD can interact negatively with different groups of medications that include the following:
- Beta-Blockers (metoprolol, acebutolol, betaxolol, etc.)
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, etodolac, etc.)
- Anti-Seizure Medications (clobazam, acetazolamide, clonazepam, etc.)
- HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitors (atorvastatin, fluvastatin, etc.)
- Antidepressants (citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, etc.)
- Proton-Pump Inhibitors (omeprazole, lansoprazole, etc.)
- Antihistamines (brompheniramine, cetirizine, etc.)
- Oral Hypoglycemic Agents (biguanides, sulfonylureas, meglitinides, etc.)
- Antibiotics (amoxicillin, doxycycline, ciprofloxacin, etc.)
- Prokinetics (domperidone, etc.)
- Anesthetics (amobarbital, barbiturates, etc.)
- Benzodiazepines (alprazolam, clobazam, etc.)
- Antipsychotics (aripiprazole, asenapine, cariprazine, etc.)
- Calcium Channel Blockers (amlodipine, diltiazem, etc.)
- Antiarrhythmics (amiodarone, etc.)
- HIV Antivirals (abacavir, didanosine, etc.)
- Sulfonylureas (micronase, glynase, etc.)
- Angiotensin II Blockers (azilsartan, candesartan, etc.)
- Immune Modulators (immune globulins, immunosuppressants, etc.)
- Steroids and Corticosteroids (cortisone, hydrocortisone, etc.)
While there is a lack of research that can prove that CBD adversely affects the human body when taken with certain specific medicines, the possibility does exist. CBD has been observed to have similar effects as grapefruit on certain medications. Therefore, people taking medicines that come with grapefruit warning labels should also try to avoid CBD.
Examples of reactions when using CBD with medications
The interactions of CBD with medications from the above list may vary between positive and negative depending on the actual dosages. The timings and dosage are important – a lower dosage of the two drugs taken at intervals is less likely to have a negative effect than a higher dose taken around the same time.
For example, both CBD and ibuprofen can help in reducing pain and inflammation. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that taking them together is beneficial for your body. While a combination of ibuprofen and CBD may not be dangerous for the body, it is best to maintain a cautious approach when taking them together.
To take another instance, CBD oil has been found to be just as effective as beta-blockers like metoprolol in reducing blood pressure. While there are no studies that explore the potential effect of taking both these medications together, there is a high possibility of the combination having a negative effect on the blood pressure.
Patients taking any such medications should take the opinion of their doctors before consuming CBD.
Medications that should not be taken with CBD
The list of medications mentioned above is by no means complete. CBD may have adverse reactions when taken together with many other medications. To be safe, it is recommended that you have a detailed discussion with your doctor about all the current medications you are taking prior to trying CBD. A medical professional will be able to identify any problematic reactions and help you avoid them.
TOP SEARCHES – Why Put Drops Under Tongue | Cbd 20 Full Spectrum | Cbd Massage Oil For Pain Uk | Sensual Oil | Are Edibles Legal Uk | Cbd Oil For Osteoarthritis | Does Cbd Oil Smell | Is Cbd Oil Good For Arthritis | Best Cbd Oil For Arthritis | Cbd Oil For Depression | Full Spectrum Vs Broad Spectrum Cbd For Anxiety | Cbd Isolate Vs Hemp Oil | Hemp Vs Cbd Oil